Monday, February 2, 2009

Kurosaki = kudamono!?

Soooo... Practically everyone who has ever heard of Bleach is aware that Ichigo's name means "strawberry" in Japanese, although the kanji used to spell it mean "one" and "protect." And I've known for quite a while now that Yuzu ("playing child" or "traveller") is an Asian citrus fruit, but I had never really thought about it. Not until one day, a couple of weeks ago.

On the day in question, I was flipping through the latest issue of Anime Insider (which is one of the best magazines I have ever read) when something caught my eye. It was a description of a popular drink in Japan... made of the Chinese citrus fruit "karin."

Question:

WHY DID ISSHIN NAME HIS CHILDREN AFTER FRUIT!!!???

Did Masaki go along with this, or was it all Isshin's idea? For that matter, why did they name their son Ichigo in the first place? Everyone is going to automatically assume that he's female! And what about Renji--his name is only one kana off from the Japanese word for orange. And Hinamori Momo? I mean, her sword is named Flying Plum for crying out loud! Does Kubo-sensei have a strange obsession with fruit or something? If Isshin and Masaki had other kids, what would their names have been? Suika? Ringo? Banana?

I personally think it's good they stopped there...

1 comment:

  1. You and your nerdness. I shall create the character of his child Banana and be them at cons.

    ReplyDelete